Tuesday, February 21, 2012

National Symbols Unit: The Bald Eagle

As part of our continuing Social Studies unit on national symbols and landmarks, we studied the bald eagle. We read books, researched eagles, and learned about the history of how the eagle became such and important symbol for our country. We even watched the live bald eagle cam from Decorah, IA - the kids loved this! I put the live shots on the promethean board during writer's workshop and let the kids write about what they saw, what they thought the eagles were feeling and thinking, and consider both the live birds and the eagle's place in our nation's history. This was the final project we made. It was inspired by numerous projects that I saw online. The only change I would make is to add tail feathers to the eagle. I had a tracer made, but when I laid my own sample out, you could not see the tail feathers due to the placement of the shield - the students did not have this same problem!We are going to add the tail feathers this Friday to make sure that the student work is as accurate as possible. Hope you enjoy!

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. UPDATE: Right after I posted this, I found out that the Decorah eagles now have 2 eggs in their nest! We hadn't been on in a few weeks, but I made sure to show the kids as soon as I heard. Since we are now entering a new Foss science unit on Plants and Animals, I am going to continue to show the eagle cam from time to time enhance our unit. The eggs are supposed to hatch in about 34 days, so I know the kids will be eagerly awaiting the big day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have to check this out since we have been talking about American Symbols too!

    I would love for you to come check out the Liberty Bells we made...they are so cute!

    I am your newest follower and would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete